The Castle Craig Foundation is a project which is being established to provide a structure and focus for our organizational desire to give as well as a means for engaging with the voluntary sector. To mark its 30th anniversary, Castle Craig Hospital in Scotland is launching an annual international essay writing competition for students. The competition is intended for all students of medicine, psychology, nursing, psychotherapy, and social work.
Entrants can choose from 3 different essay questions on an aspect of addiction, and essays should be not more than 3000 words. Essays should be academic papers including references and may rely on personal experiences, objective opinions or a general outlook.
Topics for the Essay
- Is addiction to a drug a brain disease?
- What is the role of psychotherapy in realizing and sustaining recovery from addiction?
- ‘Society holds the solution to addiction because social problems are the main cause.’ Discuss
Rules of the Competition
1. The essay should be 3000 words or less (Not including Title page, Bibliography or References). Essays of more than 3000 words will be disqualified. The judges are looking for a well written, original and interesting essay, including references.
2. The essay topic must rely on one of the three essay titles listed on this page.
3. The entry must be word processed and well presented.
4. Please include a separate title page showing the essay title, your name, your university or college, and the full word count.
All pages of the essay must include the essay title as a header, and the page number as a footer (page numbering to begin on the first page of the essay – not the title page).
Your name, academic institution or other identifiers should not appear on any page other than the title page, otherwise, the essay will be returned to you for modification.
5. All entries must be accompanied by a signed entry form sent by post or electronic form. Essays received without an assigned entry form will be disqualified. Submissions by fax will not be accepted. E-signature is acceptable, as is a scanned document of the entry form.
6. Essays may be submitted as a hard copy by post, or as a Microsoft Word document email attachment sent to [email protected] – Please specify on the entry form by ticking the correct box.
7. Both the entry form and the essay must reach Castle Craig Hospital by 30th December 2018 – late entries cannot be accepted. No allowance will be made for postage or email failure etc. We will notify you when we receive your entry.
8. The competition is open to all students studying Medicine, Psychology, Nursing, Psychotherapy, Social Work or a related discipline. Only single author entries can be accepted.
9. Any suspicion of plagiarism will result in immediate disqualification.
10. The judges’ decision is final for all aspects of the competition.
11. Submissions must be in English. Entrants should mention if English is not their native language. Allowances will be made for those submissions.
How to Apply
The applicants can enter by filling out the application by clicking here
The award for the 1st prize is £1,000, and there will be up to 5 runner-up prizes of £250. Additional notable submissions will receive a written commendation.
The Winners will be announced by the 30th of April 2019 with the winning essay being published online on the 1st of May 2019